Since the 1920s, when the first electronic TV system was invented, there has been steady and consistent technological improvement and advancement in transmitting visual images and sounds on the screen.
This is evident in the design, screen size, screen resolutions, picture quality, and colour display.
As a result, technological advancements have changed the outlook of the best TVs, especially with the evolution of LCD, OLED, HD, 4k, and 8k resolutions.
Finding the best TV for your needs depends on what features you require, your budget, and how you intend to use the TV. Several good television systems are available in the market, each with its benefits and flaws.
Regardless of your budget, finding a suitable TV for your home can sometimes be a daunting task. There are several features, acronyms, terms, numbers, brands, models, and specs to consider.
The featured TVs come with excellent picture quality, suitable for streaming, gaming, movies, and more.
Best TVs in Canada
1. Samsung 65” QN90A QLED 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart TV
Samsung QN90A Quantum LED technology comes with ultra-light control for tremendous and detailed viewing in both dark and bright areas.
This TV comes with a micro layer that allows light to be appropriately expressed for excellent viewing.
With a Neo Quantum Processor 4k and a solid slim design, Samsung Smart TV QN90A is rich in colour, brightness, and superb viewing experience.
The Samsung NEO QLED TV comes in different screen sizes, including 85, 75, 65, 55, and 50 inches.
Other features include:
- Object tracking sound (OTS+) with inbuilt 4.2.2ch speakers.
- Q-symphony sound for TV speakers and soundbar simultaneous operation.
- Compatible for PC, laptop, and mobile access.
- Equipped with Samsung Smart Trainer or Samsung Health for home workouts, burning calories, and more.
- Rechargeable solar cell remote control that can be recharged through USB Type-C or indoor/outdoor lighting.
- It comes with Bluetooth and HDMI.
- Ultra-bright panel for dark and bright viewing.
- Stylish and slim design.
- Exclusive Smart TV features including Samsung Health, Voice Assistant, etc.
- 4k Quantum processor for excellent picture quality.
- High resolution of 3840 x 2160
- It comes with no Dolby Vision
- Compared to other QLED technologies, it lacks accurate pictures.
2. TCL 55 5-Series 4k UHD Dolby Vision HDR QLED Roku Smart TV
TCL 5-Series QLED Roku Smart TV comes with superior picture quality and great features. Its superior 4k ultra HD picture quality provides high contrast, colour and Dolby Vision HDR for a lifelike picture.
TCL and Roku TV partnership on the 5-Series 4k TV brings deep contrast, suitable for gaming and streaming.
The 55-inch QLED Roku Smart TV is the best fit for hanging in your living room or apartment. It also comes with the following features:
- Quantum technology for better brightness and vivid colour
- Contrast control features for bright and dark images.
- Roku Smart TV platform for multiple streaming channels
- Auto game mode to detect compatible game console for best gaming settings
- It has inbuilt voice control through the Roku mobile app, voice-enabled remote control, and compatible third-party voice assistant devices such as Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa.
- Available in various screen sizes, including 50, 55, 65, and 75 inches.
- 4k ultra high definition resolution.
- It comes with Dolby Vision, HDR10. And HLG.
- Compatible with Siri, Alexa, and Hey Google.
- It features about 128 contrast zones.
- Sleek design and great picture quality.
- TCL 5-series does not support Bluetooth.
- It does not support an HDMI connection.
3. LG OLED 65 C1 4k Smart 120Hz OLED TV
The LG OLED Smart TV comes with great picture quality suitable for different viewing types, including streaming and gaming.
While it’s available in various sizes, including 48, 55, 65, 77 and 83 inches, the OLED 65C1 4k smart TV comes with virtual surround sound audio, HDMI ports, and superb picture quality.
It’s a suitable addition for any gaming console, such as the PS5, Xbox series, and more.
Compared to the LED technology, the OLED display technology of the LG65C1 comes with millions of pixels that deliver bright black and picture quality.
Using the Alpha 9 (Gen4) AI Processor 4k, the LG OLED TV comes with exciting perks and great gaming features.
- It comes with four HDMI ports.
- It uses Alpha 9 (Gen4) AI Processor 4k.
- It uses the WebOS operating system.
- Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos features.
- Perfect picture quality for a perfect gaming experience.
- It comes with a reflective glass surface in daylight.
4. Sony X90J 50 Inch Bravia XR Full Array LED 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart Google TV with Dolby Vision and Atmos
Sony Bravia X90J LED 4K Smart TV is one of the ideal possessions for gamers. It has a superb image quality with its Cognitive Processor XR.
This Google Smart TV enables you to view over 400 thousand movies and TV episodes all in one place, including Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, YouTube, Disney+, Crave, Apple TV, and more.
The X90J Smart TV is compatible with Google TV, Google Assistant, Alexa, Airplay, and Chromecast. Sony Bravia X90J LED 4k Smart TV is built for gamers with BRAVIA XR HDMI 2.1 ports for all gaming consoles.
Its features include:
- A full array LED and XR contrast booster.
- It’s available in multiple screen sizes, including 50, 55, 65, and 75 inches.
- Cognitive processor XR for deep black, brightness, and natural colours.
- Full array Led display technology.
- Compatible with Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, USB, Ethernet, and HDMI connections.
- It comes with great picture quality.
- Good inbuilt sound system.
- Multiple large dark spots.
- Limited viewing angles
5. TCL 55R635 6-Series 4K UHD Dolby Vision HDR QLED Roku Smart TV
The TCL 6 – series 4k QLED Roku Smart TV gives you so much value for an affordable price. It has an excellent premium picture quality to give you a seamless Smart TV experience, suitable for streaming and gaming.
The R635 4K Smart TV combines the advanced technology of Quantum Dots and Local Dimming for bright colours and deeper black. The result is exciting and impressive image quality. The 6-series R635 is unarguably one of TCL’s best Smart TVs that operate the Roku TV SmartOS.
It has a perfect high dynamic range with Dolby Vision, HDR10, and HLG. The mini LED backlight technology of the R635 provides exceptional contrast, brightness, and a lifelike picture display.
TCL 6-Series has an inbuilt voice control feature that enables users to launch or change the channel, get movie titles, or switch TV inputs using the voice command and other third-party voice assistants, including Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
While the TCL 6-Series R635 provides endless entertainment for gamers, family entertainment is not left behind. You can enjoy unhindered content on the Roku TV through cable or satellite subscription, free over-the-air channels, or through streaming channels, including sports, movies, news, kids, food, music, tech, and many more.
- Quantum dot technology bright colour
- Suitable for gaming and family entertainment.
- Integrated with the Roku mobile app.
- Less impressive sound output
- Poor motion handling
6. LG OLED 55G1 4k Smart OLED Gallery Design TV
LG 4K Smart 55G1 Gallery series TV is a stylish OLED TV with a sleek design that complements its outstanding features. It has an unbeatable contrast, vivid colour and image quality, and a perfect viewing angle.
As one of this manufacturer’s best 4k OLED TV, the LG G1 OLED offers exciting features for streaming, gaming, and other usages. While the G1 OLED TV was built with high-level performance and quality, the art-designed TV is backed by a 4k processor to provide brighter and sharper images for a perfect viewing experience.
The slim structure of the LG OLED Gallery design TV makes it easy to hang on the wall like a work of art.
Other features of the OLED 55G1 Gallery design TV include:
- Available in multiple screen sizes, including 55, 65, and 77 inches.
- Dolby Vision IQ and Dolby Atmos for automatic picture adjustment/settings and sound enhancement.
- Alpha9 (Gen4) Ai Processor 4k
- Next Gen OLED Evo Panel
- Compatible with Bluetooth, USB, Wi-Fi, Ethernet, and HDMI connections
- Sleek and stylish design
- Comes with OLED Evo panel for brighter picture quality
- The TV comes with no stand as it can only be mounted on a wall.
- Its WebOS 6.0 lacks significant improvements.
7. Sony 55-inch A8H BRAVIA OLED 4k HDR Smart Android TV
Sony Bravia OLED 4K HDR Android TV combines the OLED display technology and an impressive sound system to deliver a perfect cinematic and gaming experience.
Sony’s X1 Ultimate processor powers the A8H Bravia Smart Android TV to produce an outstanding picture quality. It also features an OLED+ pixel contrast booster, 4K HDR display resolution, X-motion clarity 120Hz, and an enhanced viewing angle.
Sony Bravia A8H Smart Android TV is not just about pictures or images; it equally has an impressive audio system. Its acoustic surface audio across the entire screen produces multidimensional audio output with two subwoofer bass systems.
As a Smart Android TV, it integrates the Google Assistant voice control features. Besides, it works with Apple Airplay2 to stream videos and audio to your TV directly from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac.
Interestingly, it has a strong table stand to support its lightweight. Alternatively, you can mount the TV on the wall for a seamless viewing experience.
- Superb sound quality
- Great video and precise picture quality for an ultimate TV experience.
- Integrated with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and other Android TV features.
- Wide viewing angles.
- Not suitable for bright-lit rooms as the screen may produce glares.
- It doesn’t support HDMI 2.1
- The operating system may sometimes lag
8. Samsung 55Q60A QLED 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart TV
Samsung is no doubt a household name in electronics and family entertainment. One of its most popular series is the Q60A QLED Smart TV. The Q60A 4k Ultra Smart TV features a sleek design and outstanding image quality. The slim nature of the TV blends effortlessly into the wall.
Whether you mount it on the wall or a table, the Samsung Q60A TV delivers distinct and accurate contrast that aligns with the content on display. Interestingly, its multi-view option allows you to watch what is on TV and your mobile phone simultaneously on the same screen.
Samsung’s Quantum Processor Lite 4K optimizes sound to give you a top-notch audio experience. The Samsung Q60A series is available in different screen sizes, including 43, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, and 85 inches.
- It’s easy to assemble and mount with an adjustable stand.
- Smooth and clear picture quality
- Available in multiple screen sizes
- 3D surround sound system
- It is associated with tons of software issues
- Poor Bluetooth audio output
9. Hisense 55U78G Smart 4K QLED 120Hz Dolby Vision HDR10+ Android TV with Voice Remote
Hisense Smart 4K QLED Android TV is a worthy alternative to expensive Smart TV brands and series. Hisense Quantum Dot technology has over a billion colour combinations to give you premium picture quality.
Using its Dolby Vision features, the U78G adjusts and blends with the room lighting and the content on display. This feature and its 1000nit Peak Brightness make its picture output brighter and sharp.
Hisense 4K QLED Android Smart TV comes with a Google Assistant voice system. You can use your voice as a command to initiate a Google search for the latest movies, TV shows, sports, games, or voice remote control.
Other features of the Hisense U78G include:
- Available in different screen sizes including 32, 40, 43, 50, 55, 58, 65, 70, 75, 85, 100, and 120 inches.
- Dolby Vision and HDR10+ features for great picture quality and Dolby Atmos sound.
- It comes with a variable refresh rate to sync with the frame rate of a gaming console or PC.
- Compatible with USB, Bluetooth, and HDMI connections.
- Great picture output
- Easy to set up and mount
- Slim and sleek design
- Screen related issues
- Poor image processing
10. Samsung 50TU7000 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart TV
Samsung TU7000 4K Ultra Smart TV series comes in a sleek design and an undeniable cutting edge technology.
The TU7000 provides a 4K Ultra crystal processor for a high-resolution picture display. You can enjoy a cinematic experience with its vivid picture and boundless design.
Samsung TU700 Smart TV integrates with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa to connect all your compatible home devices.
Perhaps you love gaming; this HDR Smart TV is ideal for avid gamers as it features a game enhancer that minimizes lag time to give you an exciting gaming experience.
The TU7000 series is available in different screen sizes, including 43, 50, 55, 58, 65, 70, 75, and 82 inches.
- Compatible with Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, RF, USB, Ethernet, HDMI, and Optical connections.
- A game enhancer to reduce lag time
- Integrated with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
- Compatible with iPhone, Apple TV, and Apple Music
- Fragile screen
- New models lack Codecs support
Why Smart TV?
As technology advances, new products and innovations bring about advanced methods of enjoying a great viewing experience.
A Smart TV is a television integrated with technological and internet capability that allows users to access streaming apps and services. These services or apps may include Netflix, Amazon Prime, Google Health, Google Map, etc.
Types of TV Displays to Get in Canada
With each brand comes a unique technology and screen types used in producing outstanding results. Here are some of the basic television screen display types available in Canada:
OLED TV (Organic Light Emitting Diode) display technology comes in a flexible and thin screen that produces bright colours and high contrast picture quality. The OLED technology achieves this via the movement of an electric current that passes through the electroluminescent film. The OLED technology is found in most LG TVs.
Quantum Dot LED (QLED) TV
The Quantum Dot LED display technology produces bright colours and vivid pictures for the best performance. This technology is popular among significant TV producers like Samsung, Hisense, TCL, and more.
LED TV: Direct LED (FALD)
LED Full Array Local Dimming Direct LED displays are backlit by several Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) behind the TV screen to produce adequate brightness and contrast.
LED TV: Edge LED
Edge LED display technology is cheaper but with less quality compared to the Direct LED display. This technology mounts the TV’s backlight LED along the edges of the panels.